Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tomato envy

All my tomato-growing friends are waxing lyrical about their juicy friends, yet mine seem to be going through an extended childhood and/or teenage faze.  I have quite a range of tomatoes, all planted at different times, sourced from different places, all still yet to give me a red 'un for dinner.

Here's my flock:

sourced from New Town Station Nursery, it's the only seedling I bought from a shop this year:


A Roma tomato plant given to me by my neighbour Peter.  He's been passing seedlings over the fence for the last 4 months in everything from yoghurt containers to plastic cups.  He admitted that maybe he went a bit over the top last week.  It's great to have neighbours like that though, as I can also thank him for the cucumber, broad beans, a couple of cauliflowers, parsley (which you can see in front of the tomato), and only last week, 3 strawberry seedlings.  Mr Roma has the most green fruit on him so far.


Unidentifiable tomato plant bought as a seedling from Lenah Valley Primary school:


Gardener's Delight climbing tomato.  I have a row of these that I planted from seed a couple of months ago.  I've heard that I should thin them out, but I can't bear to kill plants that aren't 'performing' as well as others.


Another Lenah Valley Primary school plant.  I've had problems in the past with tomatoes doing this weird deforming thing.  It seems to affect all the fruit on those particular plants, but I'm not sure why it occurs.



A couple of tomatoes that my friends Tim and Mary gave me (Mary incidently has a great food/life blog called Utter Obsession with Foody Goodness).  It seems that a pumpkin or cucumber-looking plant has snuck in with it.  Tim and Mary also (deliberately) gave me a pumpkin plant that is going great guns.


Lastly, my precious 'Tigerellas'.  Like the Gardener's delight, I grew them from seed, and am having dilemmas about whether to thin them or not.  I really want to see the stripey tomatoes!

1 comment:

  1. The best way to support your tomato plants is with The Tomato Stake.

    www.thetomatostake.com

    Easier to use than metal cages or upside down planters, stronger than bamboo and won't rot like wood stakes. The built-in twist-tie supports make tying your tomato plants easy!

    ReplyDelete